Lead+backing female vocals needed for adventurous progressive AOR/R&B song
Thanks for checking out this project! I’m looking for a dynamic female vocalist to record lead and backing vocals for an adventurous alternative/R&B song with some funky mid-tempo and progressive rhythmic elements… building up to a powerful AOR/rock feel at the second chorus to the ending!
- Vocal qualities: a soulful alto voice with an excellent sense of dynamics with tenderness in the soft parts but the ability to belt it out in the louder parts
- Vocal range of this song: F♯2 to B4 (falsetto might be workable for the top notes in some situations, as long as it doesn’t bring the intensity down)
- Excellent sense of pitch amidst changing keys—no auto-tune will be used or accepted
- Ability to create and add your own harmonies
- Ability to read leadsheets helpful
- Must be able to record your own parts (dry) in your own studio and send back .WAV file(s) of your work—online work expected
- Download the lyrics, leadsheet and backing tracks with guide vocal melody (the guide melody track will of course be replaced with your own vocals!) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8jibcz0kf5nlb4v/AACRcjLIPTlaqokrcbBTUuNKa?dl=0
For Your Reference:
Other songs or artists that may be reminiscent of or helpful in describing the possible vocal style (these are just a few ideas—I’m looking for someone with an original approach to the material, not a copycat!)
- “Self Destructive Mind,” “Feel The Buzz” (Ninet Tayeb)
- “The Rhythm of Life” (Oleta Adams)
- “Don’t Touch My Hair” (Solange)
- “Let’s Build” (Teyana Taylor)
- “Heaven” (Amaal)
Other Requirements and Expectations:
- English should be your native language or else you should be able to sing English with 100% proficiency.
- I’ll be asking for a consultation with you via Skype, FaceTime or Zoom at the beginning of the project, to confirm that we’re on the same page about the singing style and mood of the song. This should take no longer than 30–40 minutes of our time upfront, and will save time for both of us ;-) (Note that you may include this meeting time in your pricing estimate package.)
- Let’s work together and keep the do-overs to a bare minimum, if not zero! That said, kindly note that I may ask you to re-record a passage, if the interpretation is quite different from what we talked about in the pre-meeting or if there are any technical issues. (Personally, I understand your pain and hate do-overs… which is why I’d prefer to hammer out the basic style and approach in our initial discussion, and then let you take it from there.)
- Any questions on the lyrics, style, interpretation or other expectations—please ask at any time. I’m easy to work with and won’t bite ;)
How Your Vocals and This Song Will Be Used:
This song is a personal endeavor, released to the public only via SoundCloud, Twitter and other free platforms at present. My main goal is to get the music out there, so that as many people can enjoy it as possible. Your voice is what’s going to make this possible :)
In the near future, I may add this to a compilation or song collection in album form. In the event that I intend to convert that recording with your vocals into a paid product (i.e. a purchased and downloadable song on the major distribution channels, a physical CD, etc.), I will discuss fair payment and royalties with you at that time.
Who I Am
I’m a composer/producer, keyboardist and guitarist located in central Japan. I’ve done other similar projects with talented vocalists overseas (see my SoundCloud page for some examples). I do not work for an agency or company—music is my creative passion, and my main gig at present is freelance technical translation.
In what capacity are you hiring?
As an individual for a personal project
Where are you in the hiring process?
I’m ready to make a paid hire
Would you like to state a preference for hiring from underrepresented group(s)?
Where did you find Twine?
Is this an independent one off job, or part of a larger project?
Single job with no follow up work
For what period of time will the freelancer be needed?
A day or two
What freelancer experience level is needed? (per hour)
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page