Production Editor Boston, United States
Production Designer is needed in Boston, United States.
Leading educational publisher of Asian language and cultural studies materials for K-12 and higher ed markets seeks an experienced production editor with proficiency in Mandarin Chinese to handle various aspects of editorial production, including to:
- coordinate projects between Editorial and typesetting vendors, freelance designers, and illustrators, internal editorial and marketing teams throughout the production process, from manuscript delivery to final files to the printer and/or digital vendors
- check page proofs for design inconsistencies throughout the production cycle; investigate and solve problems as needed
- communicate changes in schedule, template, and process to vendors, keeping them updated on all details of project
- design or update pages as necessary using InDesign and following established design of book
- conduct photo research and download/optimize and track photos for use
- assist with design work for Marketing and create collateral such as flyers, web ads, and email templates
- load documents to companion websites and adjust companion website templates as needed
- post new content to company website
- help in proofreading, cold reads, and style tagging when requested
register ISBNs and request CIP data; keep a master list of assigned ISBNS and communicate lists across departments
- input content to online learning platforms
- coordinate the manufacturing of front and backlist titles, including issuing purchase orders and scheduling projects with printers
- maintain and update all pertinent files and databases
- learn the basics of company products and policies through customer service training
- perform other duties as needed and requested
- Minimum three years’ experience in production of print book publishing
- Solid facility using Adobe InDesign required
- Excellent skills in English and proficiency in reading Mandarin Chinese for proofreading and light editing
- Solid working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, conventional and electronic prepress, book and component printing, and publishing procedures
- Familiarity with XML, HTML, CSS, ePub, H5P, and emerging digital learning technologies highly desirable
- Detail-oriented, self-directed, highly organized, and thorough
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks and priorities with excellent time management skills
- Demonstrated skills in editorial, copy editing, and proofreading work with knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and electronic proofreading workflow in Adobe Acrobat
- Foreign language teaching experience and/or strong interest in developing high-quality Asian language and culture educational materials a plus
- Salary commensurate with experience. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer 401K plan, health, dental, life, and disability insurance.
Please email resume and cover letter with details on how your skills and experience mesh with the duties listed above .Include Production Editor in the subject line.
Are you looking to pay or is this a collaboration?
Pay to hire someone
Is this ongoing work or a one off job?
How would you prefer to pay?
What’s your day rate budget range? (USD)
$250-350 (Industry average)
Do you have an estimate of the job or project length?
A few months
Are you a company or individual hiring?
Do you have internal sign off on the hire?
Do you need to hire for a specific city, country or place?
Yes, they need to be at a location (give location in job title)
When do you want to have the freelancer secured by?
What is most important for this job?
How many freelancers do you want to contact you?
Do you have a job specification or creative brief?
Yes (please enter this in the description)
Does the freelancer need insurance?
Where did you find Twine?
You contacted me
Work has begun on this job
...but don't worry, your next job is waiting for you on the Jobs page